The two world wars of the last century saw nearly 4,000 Queen’s University staff, students, alumni and faculty sign up for active service. Following the First World War a campaign was initiated to commemorate all those who died in the Great War. A similar campaign was initiated following the Second World War.
As the result of these two campaigns, two large bronze memorial plaques containing 363 names were cast; one for the First World War (cast in 1928) and another for the Second World War (cast in 1969). Originally these bronze plaque were placed in the entrance of the Douglas Library, but were moved to the Student’s Memorial Union (what is today the J.D.U.C) in the 1970s along with some stained glass windows.
McCreery became involved in the project to restore the Memorial Room in 2000, and continue to be involved. Through his research McCreery discovered that three names had been omitted from the plaque for the First World War and one name had been omitted from the plaque for the Second World War.
The Rolls of Honour will be placed in the oak case (above and below) that sits atop the stone table in the Memorial Room. The case is circumscribed by the text of In Flanders Fields, lined with purple velvet and marked with various insignia and badges related to the First and Second World Wars. McCreery built the case over the summer of 2001 in his spare time.
This project continues as McCreery gathers the names of all the members of the Queen’s University community who served in the Second World War. These names will be entered into the Registers of Service and will eventually go on display in the Memorial Room.
Other improvements were made to the Memorial Room, including the addition of two etched glass windows, depicting the Canadian Memorial Cross.